Dental phobia or the fear of dentists can prevent a person from seeking, or getting, the proper dental health care he or she deserves. There are countless people who forego regular dental check-ups, or even the necessary dental treatments, because of their great fear of dentists.
Conscious sedation can help people with their dental anxiety, so they can get the dental treatments they need without having a traumatic experience.
There is no need to endure a traumatic experience when getting a dental treatment done. Those who have a fear of dentists can turn to intravenous sedation to help them feel calm, and relaxed, before and during the necessary dental treatment; afterwards, the patient will not be able to remember any of the unpleasant or uncomfortable parts of the treatment. Dental sedation, however, does not leave a patient unconscious throughout the duration of the procedure – the patient will still be able to understand the dentist and follow instructions.
Many patients feel self-conscious about dental treatment and nervous about visiting the dentist. We offer special care to our anxious patients through two forms of sedation to make their appointments more comfortable and relaxing.
- The first type is called intravenous or IV sedation. The sedative drug is injected in a controlled manner, so that you feel relaxed during the dental treatment.
- The second type is inhalation sedation, which is good if you don’t like needles. A small mask is placed over your nose and mouth, and you breathe in a mix of nitrous oxide and oxygen. This gas mixture will make you feel calm during your dental appointment. You remain awake and aware while receiving the sedation, but you will experience a deep sensation of peace and relaxation while the team work on your teeth.
Our team of dentists and nurses are specially trained to deliver these types of sedation and will make sure that you are safe and comfortable at all times during your visit.
What is IV Sedation?
Also called conscious sedation or dental sedation, IV sedation is a procedure used in dentistry to put patients in a relaxed and calm state – as a preparation for them to undergo the necessary dental treatments and procedures. IV sedation ensures that a patient will not have to go through a terrifying time when faced with a dental procedure – so he or she will not come out of the treatment traumatised, or in a panicked state.
IV Sedation for Nervous Patients
IV sedation is recommended for nervous patients who do not want to feel fear before or during the dental procedure that they need to undergo. Members of the dental team who are qualified to provide intravenous sedation will be present throughout a procedure to oversee and manage the administration of the sedative through an injection, to ensure that everything about the IV sedation is in place – and perfectly safe.
Nervous patients will feel completely relaxed and calm with IV sedation; this will allow the dentist to carry out the necessary dental treatments without any difficulties.
IV Sedation and Dental Implants
There are a lot of nervous patients who are apprehensive with the idea of getting dental implants, since the dental implant placement will involve surgical procedures. The dental implant placement procedure can be turned into a more pleasant experience with the help if IV sedation. A nervous patient can look forward to getting the needed dental implants without having to worry about the fear or pain of the procedure; with IV sedation, a patient with dental phobia will go through the entire procedure in a calm, relaxed state of mind – and with no need to worry about having a traumatic experience.
Who Will Benefit from Dental Sedation?
- People who experience anxiety about dental visits
- Individuals who have had traumatic dental experiences in the past
- Patients who are receiving complex treatments/ surgery
- People who have experience difficulties with getting numb
- Individuals who have a strong gag reflex
- People who have TMJ troubles, and cannot open their mouth for extended periods of time
- Those who are afraid of having needles inside their mouth
- Those who have sensitive teeth
- People who hate the noises and/or smells associated with dental care
- Individuals who simply do not have the time for multiple visits for dental treatments
The fear of going to the dentist is a serious matter that should be addressed in the most efficient way, to be able to provide those with dentist fears with the proper dental health care they need and deserve. It is not unusual for a person with dental anxiety to avoid going to the dentist altogether, because the fear may be so extreme that even the thought of a dental check-up may be enough to put someone in a state of panic. IV sedation can help ensure that patients will only have the most pleasant experiences when it comes to dental treatments.
- Now you don’t have to let your fear of the dentist stop you from getting the dental treatment that you need
- A safe way to feel calm and relaxed during dental treat